Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Adolescent Fight Club

By: Kris Harrison |Editor|

I just finished watching Fight Club, which I initially put on to make myself feel better about hating studying and the pointlessness of college on whole. It worked. However, this time I caught a glimpse of something I did not pick up on before. It is something I find very crucial to the film and its meaning. It was also prompted by a Facebook message I received quoting the movie. The quote was from a philosophy/personal friend of mine who usually zings me with one liners. Although it wasn't the one liner this time, it still zinged me in a most likely unintended way.

What it made me realize is that I disagreed with what Fight Club stands for. I appreciate the ideas, the meaninglessness of modern life and all that jazz. These are big topics with me. However, what Josh's comment made me realize was the adolescence of the film, and the ideas presented. Now, I must first say that I still love the movie and appreciate it on many other different levels. However, the most important level, which is its message, I do not. Also, I could be misled in my interpretation (in your opinion) but it is a work of art and is open to such, so bear with me. What struck me about the adolescence is its reflection on myself, and encounters I have had. My friend Ryan Clark wrote a song, and believes in the idea that revolution is dead. I agree. Revolution as it has existed for the extent of human history is of no value anymore. This applies to the revolution posed in the movie as well.

You may be say "aw hell Kris, it's just a film." Fuck that, it has a message and if you do not take it serious than I doubt you appreciate the movie with the depth it deserves. Furthermore, if you are one of those revolutionary types, I advise you to read the Unabomber's Manifesto, he articulates why in better detail as well as proves its defaults. Anyways, back to the film. What I am disgusted by is this idea of revolution as a collectivist, gun shooting, explosive, anarchistic event. This is how it has always occurred, and though it may prove effective in some way (blowing shit up still changes things) I do not feel it would have the psychological effect it used to. Blowing up credit card unions wouldn't do anything to further mankind. Not buying things with them on a mass scale would. It is easy to demonize wild eyed revolutionaries. Look at Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber. The man was a genius who saw humanity heading down a bad path, used force to get his message across and now everyone believes he is a nut. The same would happen to Tyler Durden, regardless of how rational his ideas may seem. Look what they're doing to Tiger Woods for god's sake. The guy got in a car accident late at night, and now everyone's freaking out like he's some loony.

Yes, the tenants of the movie are adolescent. They appear to be awesome in theory, and of course work out in a movie. However, the real revolution would not happen. Yes, there are a great deal of males (and females) disenfranchised with the current state of affairs. Yes, fighting may be a productive form of psychotherapy rather than copious consumption and some fucked up identity therein. However, I emphasize the "may." There is a better way of approaching the clear meaninglessness. It's a lot simpler, and doesn't involve explosions, so people will not latch onto it as well as Fight Club (which by the way, white collar boxing does exist). The solution is in the methods of revolution, and attacks the heart of what the current system is founded on. What I mean is money. The consumer has power as such, what they buy determines what businesses and power exists. Hate Starbucks and Wal-Mart? Stop shopping there. Feel like products aren't doing anything to make you happy? Stop buying them. Feel like a part of you is missing, figure out what it is.

I'm simplifying, of course, but the solution is simple in theory. In practice on a large scale I believe it's impossible. Even the strongest of will splurges now and then. Multiply that by the population of the country and Wal-Mart is still doing fine. However, I find this to be the shape of revolution to come. It is a form of slave rebellion, but it makes more sense than blowing shit up. Just stop buying from places you don't agree with. Cancel your credit cards. "Oh, but things are so expensive! We need Wal-Mart and Meijer for their deals!" Shop Sav-A-Lot and Good Will. They're cheaper and the profits go to the perpetuation of humanity. There are alternatives. I know because I do them. Yes, I could be doing more, and I should be. I'm not asking for all or nothing, just something more sensible for all out chaos. We already live in that, but most people aren't equipped for digesting it.

Look, I don't mean to be preachy, and I know I am coming off like that. My point is, don't let the fantasy get you. It got me, and my glimmering eyes did nothing but shine. Fight Club is a great film, and exposes a lot of stuff going on that people don't often discuss. However, the solution is weak. If you disagree, than fuck it, let's make some soap.

3 comments:

  1. Your critique of the movie is actually just emphasizing what the movie stands for. When he initially starts Fight Club, it works out well. He is finally able to break free from his consumerist lifestyle and is finally content with life. Unfortunately, when the whole Project Mayhem comes alone, shit hits the fan. The message of the movie is to break free from the consumerist lifestyle that has taken over all of our lives but not to let it get completely out of hand to the point where you're blowing up corporate buildings.

    Also, I'm pretty sure the whole hoopla surrounding Tiger Woods is the speculation that he got into the car accident because he was fleeing from his wife who was swinging a golf club at him for having an affair. I'm not entirely sure on that matter though, I just overheard my cousin talking about it.

    -Zach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously blowing up the credit card unions would not accomplish anything, its purely meant to be symbolic, just like V blowing the British Parliament Building. Plus Fight Club would've blown had the premise included Tyler Durden handing out pamphlets on the evils of materialism.
    Also, while the Tiger Woods affair is completely fucking hilarious, I do believe that the public has every right to know what happened. He made a statement in which he, through so much lawyer bullshit it was almost unbelievable, admitted to having an affair. He then went on a diatribe berating all tabloids and media outlets, to which I say, fuck you. He is the first billionaire athlete and it is all thanks to the public. He wants the camera on him when he's golfing and trying to sell his gear, yet when the public becomes fixated on his celebrity it becomes too much. If somebody chooses to buy a Tiger Woods polo shirt or set of golf clubs, its not because of the quality of the product or the lack of alternatives, people are buying Tiger Woods himself. He has become a product, and I personally wouldn't want to support a philandering asshole jock. Also his wife is a fucking dime and the chicks he cheated with looked like white trash hos, one of them was on 'The Tool Academy' for fucks sake. That is all.
    Keep up the good work Kris, thanks for giving me something to read when I'm bored out of my mind in class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you two for replying, you both have valid points. I love the anti-consumerist aspect of the movie, I think it is just me throwing my own griefs onto the premise of the movie. Rebellion and Revolution are complex issues, and I think Fight Club gives a great theatrical replication of one possibility. Either way, great flick.

    Also, I never considered the other side of the Tiger Woods scandal. I forget he is sponsoring products and thus makes coin off of the public. Its so obvious I looked over it, heh. I just get frustrated when the talking heads get holier than thou on celebrities when I guarantee a good proportion of them sleep around on their wives as well.

    I also note the irony of Tiger Woods being on the other end of the golf club for once. :)

    ReplyDelete